Wednesday, March 8, 2017

2017 Minutes



Eagle Heights Garden Committee Minutes

February 8, 2017, 6:30 PM

Eagle Heights Community Center


6:30 – Delicious food and great conversation by Adam, Jolene, Barb L, Will, Barbara, Barbara, Ann, Angus, Karen, Ulrike, Kathryn and Ric.

7:00 Adam welcomed everyone.

Minutes December minutes were approved.

Registrar Update

Kathryn said that about 300 gardeners have renewed their plots and about 100 new gardeners have applied. It is one week before the deadline and many people have not yet renewed.

Kathryn emailed to request volunteers for the Seed Fair (April 1) and has taken the first 34 volunteers, which should be good. Many of the volunteers are bilingual. There will be a smaller amount of row cover for sale that is from last year. Orientations for new gardeners will be held at noon on Saturday and Sunday of the Seed Fair weekend. The seed sort will take place when the building is closed so it can be done right outside the storage room door.

Seed donations seem to be down from last year even though we have not done anything differently. It was decided that we would not give away seed for full size cantaloupe and melon at the seed fair because they are not usually successful in Wisconsin. Minnesota Midget cantaloupe seed will be given away because there is a chance of success for average gardeners.

Garden Worker Position

Jolene said she was still waiting for Human Resources to decide how they would deal with the position under their new system. The two choices are seasonal or permanent-part time. Adam said he could be part of the hiring committee and said he would ask for 3 more volunteers by the email list when HR sends some applicants. Jolene said there is a ten day waiting period between when an applicant accepts and when they can start work.

Goals for 2017


Adam said the gardens needs a new chair, as he could be leaving town. The goals discussion at the December meeting was summarized as follows:

Improve the meeting- Have the agenda a week in advance with the discussion time allotted to the item. Someone needs to keep the discussion to the topic and the time allotted. Have sub-committees do some of the work and bring a proposal to the committee meeting for approval. Transparency is a good idea, we need to make sure all people are informed. After an online discussion, we need to decide if there is consensus on a topic at the next meeting. Maintain a positive tone.

More events- Increase social events like the plant exchange.

Recognize good garden examples- Juries can also find good gardens.

Put a berm above the Eagle Heights weedpile to solve water problems.

Unfinished Business- improve path maintenance.

Online application- for a later year.

Recruiting- new co-chairs and treasurer


There was discussion of the importance of strategic planning. What is the most important? Some said the biggest project is the berm around the weed pile. Materials are available to shore up the University Houses main path. Could there be community projects? Some said workdays could be thought of as a community event. Jolene asked if a gardener could do a presentation in lieu of a workday? The discussion came back to the importance of setting priorities. Some of the tasks need to be done every year, like mowing, and they have a priority. Community building is important. The plant exchange was a good thing and should be repeated, but not on the same day as the plant sale! Workshops are also good. There are people with expertise in the gardens.


The discussion turned to Mexican Bean Beetles and the parasitic wasp that eats the larvae. The WI DATCP website will tell when there have been enough Heat degree days in Dane County to help predict when the Mexican bean beetles might appear. If gardeners plant early beans in the gardens and the beetles larvae are seen, then there will be a place to release the wasps. Several gardeners agreed to plant beans early. Ulrike will take responsibility for the Wasps.

Motion by Ann and seconded by Barb L to buy the beetles when the time is right. Passed unanimously.

Treasurer’s Report


Barb L. has agreed to be our new treasurer. She and Angus will do the job together for a while. Angus said Housing has agreed to send the reports to Barb L.

Garden Worker Report


Will said the plan to fix the weedpile includes a berm to direct the water around the weedpile and a concrete pad for the collection site. Discussion flowed back into the topic of strategic planning. Not all of the labor hours are being used that are budgeted for each year. Recurring expenses should be in the regular budget. A strategic planning meeting should be one of our biggest meeting with many people in attendance. Perhaps we could have a facilitator.

Seed Fair- April 1

Plant Sales- Kathryn, Melita and Ulrike

New Gardener Orientation- Ric volunteered to help.

Parasitic wasps

Adjourned by 8:00pm by Adam

Submitted by Karen

Subject to correction by the Garden Committee


Eagle Heights Garden Committee Minutes

March 8, 2017, 6:30 PM
Eagle Heights Community Center

6:30 – Delicious food and great conversation by Adam, Barb L, Rosemary, Rollie, Tianxing, Ann, Karen, Ulrike, Kathryn and Ric.

7:00 Adam welcomed everyone.

Minutes Motion by Barb L., seconded by Ann to approve the February minutes. Unanimously approved.


Registrar Update
Kathryn said that the plot assignments are done. There are 407 renewals and 133 new gardeners. There are 24 plots open at Eagle Heights and 12 at University Houses. A notice has been placed in the residents newsletter advertising the gardens. Both porta potties have been delivered by March 10th. We received a seed donation box from E & R Seeds of 56 pounds. The seed sort for the Seed Fair will be March 12th, from 9-noon. The Seed Fair is April 1st from 9 to 11 am.

Scott Williams will be our Plant Sale vendor. The cool weather plant sale is April 23 and the warm weather sale is May 14th, both from 11am to 1pm.

Treasurer’s Report

Barb L. said so far she has just been learning the Treasurer’s job from Angus and we are on budget. They are working on a few discrepancies.

Garden Juries

Adam suggested we have some people form a sub-committee for directing the garden juries. Teams of 2 or 3 people would be good with written guidelines for the structure of jury operation. The volunteers for the Garden Jury Sub-committee are Rosemary, Ann, Adam and Bob. The juries should start by May 15th. The sub-committee will report back at the April meeting.

Co-Chair report

Adam said the ground is now thawed. Discussion ensued about predatory wasps that feed on the Mexican Bean Beetles. Ulrike reported that she talked to P.J. Liesch, the campus entomologist. He suggests planting early or late varieties of beans, using exclusions (row cover), hand picking to destroy the bean beetles and parasitic wasp larvae to control the bean beetles. We have released parasitic wasps in the past and they have been successful in controlling the bean beetles. We need to plant beans early, because we need to have the bean beetle larvae present in the garden before we release the parasitic wasp mummies in the garden. We need to order 7 days in advance. In a typical year, Mexican Bean Beetles emerge in mid to late May. Ulrike agreed to coordinate the parasitic wasp release and volunteers will help. They will communicate by email with a separate list.

Adam said that Rhonda does not yet have cost estimates for the weed pile construction project. Adam says that Jolene reports that the Garden Worker position will be a seasonal position from March 15 to November 15.

Ulrike would like to do another straw bale workshop. We would need to get a supply of straw bales.

Goals for 2017 (from previous minutes)
Adam said the gardens needs a new chair, as he could be leaving town. The goals discussion at the December meeting was summarized as follows:

Improve the meeting- Have the agenda a week in advance with the discussion time allotted to the item. Someone needs to keep the discussion to the topic and the time allotted. Have sub-committees do some of the work and bring a proposal to the committee meeting for approval. Transparency is a good idea, we need to make sure all people are informed. After an online discussion, we need to decide if there is consensus on a topic at the next meeting. Maintain a positive tone.

More events- Increase social events like the plant exchange.

Recognize good garden examples- Juries can also find good gardens.

Put a berm above the Eagle Heights weedpile to solve water problems.

Unfinished Business- improve path maintenance.

Online application- for a later year.

Recruiting- new co-chairs and treasurer

There was discussion of the importance of strategic planning. What is the most important?

Adjourned by 7:55pm by Adam
Submitted by Karen
Subject to correction by the Garden Committee








Eagle Heights Garden Committee Minutes

April 12, 2017, 6:30 PM

Eagle Heights Community Center




6:30 – Delicious food and great conversation by Adam, Jolene, Fola, Rosemary, Rollie, Will, Barb A, Niels, Melita, Pat, Tianxing, Ann, Karen, Ulrike, Barb L, Kathryn and a few others.

7:00 Adam welcomed everyone.

Minutes The March minutes were unanimously approved.


Registrar Update


Kathryn said the Seed Fair went well and gardeners from 268 separate plots attended. We still have a lot of radish seed left. Kathryn thanked Karen for organizing and running the Seed Fair.

Kathryn said that there are 5 Eagle Heights and 10 University Houses plots still to be filled with gardeners. There was discussion about using a cover crop on plots not yet assigned to control the weeds.

Sub- committee reports

Weed Jury

The Weed Jury sub-committee reported they think we should advertise the weed jury to the garden list. They propose one team for University Houses for the season. A weed jury team would have at least 2 people but would be better with three. Since Eagle Heights is larger, there would be 4 teams for the season, with a jury happening every two weeks. Each team would work for one month at Eagle Heights for workday credit.

There was much discussion about what happens when a plot is cited as being too weedy. Adam said that historically ¾’s of the plots are cleaned up by the gardeners after a weedy plot notice. One quarter require clean up by a work crew and typically 1-2 plots can be rehabilitated on a weekend. The goal is for the gardeners to clean up their own plots.

More discussion ensued about what the juries should focus on and it was decided that the most important problems were noxious weeds and abandoned plots. The discussion then turned to a two tiered system: plots that are noticed as being weedy and are given a public sign on the plot. If the plot was cleaned up after this notice, then that would be good. If not, then plots would be condemned as too weedy which would trigger a workday clean up.

The juries would start in the second week of May. Kathryn will ask for volunteers in May. Eagle Heights will have May-June, July August and August September juries for workday credit. University Houses will have 4-6 juries for the season for workday credit.

Bean Beetle Brigade


Ulrike reported that we need to plant beans as soon as we can, well dispersed around the garden so we will have places to release the mummies with predator wasp eggs (Pediobius faveolatus) which we’ll order once the Mexican Bean Beetle larvae have been observed. The wasps need to have bean beetle larvae to eat.

We need to mark on a map where beans are planted so we know where to release the wasp mummies. The larvae must be dispersed within 18 to 20 hours after receiving.

Gardeners interested in helping with bean planting should contact Kathryn, who will handle the communications. Kathryn will also talk to F H King to see if they want to participate.

Website

A sub-committee is needed for the website. Some of the information on the old website is out of date and the new website is incomplete. The minutes are in a different format. Natasha has volunteered to be the webmaster. The following people volunteered to serve on the website sub-committee: Barb A, Barb L, Fola and Niels.

Co-chair Report


Adam said we have 5 applicants for the Garden Worker position and the closing of the application is tonight.

Rhonda will present the plans and costs for the Eagle Heights Weed area at the next meeting.

A search for a new co-chair is necessary because Adam maybe moving. The co-chair needs to be a gardener and the opening should be advertised to the list.

Goals for 2017 (from previous minutes)


Adam said the gardens needs a new chair, as he could be leaving town. The goals discussion at the December meeting was summarized as follows:

Improve the meeting- Have the agenda a week in advance with the discussion time allotted to the item. Someone needs to keep the discussion to the topic and the time allotted. Have sub-committees do some of the work and bring a proposal to the committee meeting for approval. Transparency is a good idea, we need to make sure all people are informed. After an online discussion, we need to decide if there is consensus on a topic at the next meeting. Maintain a positive tone.

More events- Increase social events like the plant exchange.

Recognize good garden examples- Juries can also find good gardens.

Put a berm above the Eagle Heights weed pile to solve water problems.

Unfinished Business- improve path maintenance.

Online application- for a later year.

Recruiting- new co-chairs and treasurer

There was discussion of the importance of strategic planning. What is the most important?

Adjourned around 8pm by Adam

Submitted by Karen
Subject to correction by the Garden Committee






Eagle Heights Garden Committee Minutes

May 10, 2017, 6:30 PM

Eagle Heights Community Center

6:30 – Delicious food and great conversation by Adam, Rhonda, Louisa, Will, Rosemary, Ric, Niels, Melita, Karen, Ulrike, Barb L and Kathryn.

7:00 Adam welcomed everyone.

Minutes Motion by Kathryn and seconded by Louisa and the April minutes were unanimously approved.


Registrar Update


Kathryn said that our new garden worker Micaiah has accepted the job and will be starting next week. He is interested in our garden community. Eagle Heights is presently full and University Houses has 2 large and one small plot open. Kathryn is bringing older bean seeds to the share shelf to give away.

Sub- committee reports


Weed Jury

The Weed Jury will be starting as soon as possible and will have a set schedule. Ulrike reported that there is no leaf mulch at University Houses, which makes weed control difficult. There are written jury instructions for the weed juries to use.

Bean Beetle Brigade

Ulrike reported that 15 people have volunteered to help. The goal is to have concentrated areas of beans in the gardens. We will order 4 vials of 40 mummies each with one vial for University Houses and 3 for Eagle Heights. The order needs to be placed one week after the observation of bean beetle eggs. The dispersal team is Barb A., Spencer and Adam P. Ulrike needs an assistant for University Houses.

Please report sightings of the Mexican Bean Beetle to Kathryn!

Weed Pile Project

Rhonda James presented her plans for solving the weed pile problem. She also said we are not allowed to have such a large leaf pile for more than 9 months according to Wisconsin DNR regulations. (We are also not allowed to have a large compost pile!)

The problem with the present weed pile is the heavy equipment used to move the pile gets stuck when the pile is wet. The hillside above the pile drains through it , so the pile is often wet. Rhonda proposes a swale system to direct the water around the pile and a culvert to move the water to the south side of the road to the weedpile. Rhonda says only concrete will work under the pile. She says that we have a choice of size of concrete pad, large or small. The larger size pad will allow the gardeners to wheel the carts onto the pad to dump them. Workday crews from the gardens would create the swales and Rhonda is convinced that they can do a good job. Since the University Houses weedpile has been improved, the gardeners are dumping weeds in the proper place more often.

The costs are $4500 for the small pad and 8,000 for the large. Discussion ensued.

Motion by Niels and seconded by Barb to put in the large pad for $8000. Passed unanimously.

The work will probably be done in late summer. Rhonda will talk to the Preserve about the project.

Other Discussion

The road going north from the shed is in poor condition. Since this road also serves other users, it was agreed that this was a topic for the GOC.

Path maintenance was again a topic of discussion. After discussion a motion was made to buy one electric mower and 2 batteries. The shed does not have electricity. It was agreed that our goal would be to get a mower first and discuss photovoltaics later.

Motion by Barb L. and seconded by Adam to buy a mover and 2 batteries for no more than $1500. Motion passed.

Co-chair Report

Adam said that this will be his last meeting because he will be moving to Tuscon. The Garden Committee thanked Adam for his service to the gardens and wished him good luck in the future.

Goals for 2017 (from previous minutes)
Adam said the gardens needs a new chair, as he could be leaving town. The goals discussion at the December meeting was summarized as follows:

Improve the meeting- Have the agenda a week in advance with the discussion time allotted to the item. Someone needs to keep the discussion to the topic and the time allotted. Have sub-committees do some of the work and bring a proposal to the committee meeting for approval. Transparency is a good idea, we need to make sure all people are informed. After an online discussion, we need to decide if there is consensus on a topic at the next meeting. Maintain a positive tone.

More events- Increase social events like the plant exchange.

Recognize good garden examples- Juries can also find good gardens.

Put a berm above the Eagle Heights weed pile to solve water problems.

Unfinished Business- improve path maintenance.

Online application- for a later year.

Recruiting- new co-chairs

There was discussion of the importance of strategic planning. What is the most important?

Adjourned around 8pm by Adam
Submitted by Karen
Subject to correction by the Garden Committee


No comments:

Post a Comment